Eco-savy gets so many questions now about the best eco-products on the market (food products, personal care products), books we recommend and links to some more websites that we thought it was a good idea to just post them all in one spot. I want to do whatever it take to help you understand today’s eco-marketplace and ultimately make the best decisions for a healthier and happier you.
Disclaimer: Some of these links are affiliate links which means if you click on the link and buy something, I will earn a percentage of the sale -note though that it is <4%, so it’s not why we are doing this ..and the price you pay stays the same.
Ultimately, I want to completely help you recover your health and make a savvy eco-lifestyle for yourself. I won’t recommend anything that I haven’t or wouldn’t use myself.
Men’s Personal Care Products
These products are recommended because they contain no known human carcinogens ( 1.4-dioxane, galaxolide, tonalide, musk xylene, musk ketone, cashmeran and traseolide)
- Rexall Shaving Cream
- Nivea for Men Shave Gel
- Cetaphil Moisturizer
- Pears Soap
- Everyone must try these cookies, they are unbelievably tasty!!!! They are called Dr. Lucy’s cookies- created by a doctor who’s child had severe allergies to dairy, gluten..you name it! They are even in Walmart now!
- Automatic Dishwasher Powder- Free & Clear (Seventh Generation) This also has met the BioPreferred label program. It is phosphate and chlorine free. Also it is free of perfume and dyes. The best part though is it is 87% biobased.
- Automatic Dishwasher Gel- Free & Clear (Seventh Generation). This product carries the BioPreferred label, is non-toxic, and is made with without chlorine bleach, phosphates, or dyes. There is no NTA or EDTA and the bottle it is packaged in contains 90% post-consumer recycled plastic. Overall, the biobased content is 70%!
- Ecover’s Automatic Dishwashing Tablets ZERO. These tablets are completely biodegradable (OECD test 301F – ecotoxicity test approved), they have a minimum impact on aquatic life (OECD – test 201&202) and are not tested on animals. The overal biobased content is 75%! SO GREAT!!! I must admit, that I am a research and development engineer and have actually done testing to meet this OECD standard, and it is quite intensive. A big congrats to Ecover for putting the time and effort into creating a sustainable product.
Personal Care Products
-Unbreakable Hair Leave in Cream
Why we recommend this?
There are no parabens or artificial colours. Also, the amount of ingredients is extremely limited (under ten) and there are no harsh chemicals -check for yourself below. The product was even tested at Eco-Savy and everyone loved it! -said their hair felt stronger and smoother. Added bonus: No animal testing involved.
- Pure and Simple. Hands down the best high-end makeup and face products. My favourite are the aloe vera creme and eye brightener. These products are made in Germany and Switzerland. I have tried them and swear by them!! An added bonus is that you can actually understand everything on the label! For example, the eye brightening cream conains: Pricot Kernel, Borage Seed Oil, and Shea Butter nourish and soothe sensitive skin, while a peptide complex helps to improve elasticity, firmness, and lymphatic circulation.
This is an ancient recipe made for the Queen of Hungary that was kept a secret for thousands of years. It was made special for her to keep her young and beautiful. Organic Roots has taken this ancient recipe and made it more appealing for current times. It is made with a Vinegar base that is infused with herbs and essential oils that helps cleanse and heal the skin. Vinegar is know for it’s ph balancing properties and also is used to help wash soap scum off of hair and out of your pores.
Mineral Pigment Dust (Solar)
In an independent study conducted by Environmental Defense, located in Toronto, Ontario (Canada) 49 face makeup items (5 foundations, 4 concealers, 4 powders, 5 blushes/bronzers, 7 mascaras, 2 eye liners, 14 eye shadows and 8 lipsticks/glosses) were tested for heavy metals.
The four metals of most concern for this testing were arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury. This is because they are banned as intentional ingredients in cosmetics, have draft limits as potential impurities in cosmetics and are designated “toxic” in Canada because of obvious health concerns. Eight other metals of concern include the four above as well as beryllium, nickel, selenium and thallium. In all cases but nickel, these metals are banned as intentional ingredients in cosmetics.
Why We Recommend?
Out of all the products tested only one, Annabelle Mineral Pigment Dust (Solar) was found not to contain a single metal of concern which is swhy Eco-Savy is recommending it today. In all other cases, at least two metals of concern were present.
We all need to be more careful what we are rubbing into our scalps. It seems like every shampoo today on the market today contains a coctail of ingredients to make the stuff smell so nice and lather so much…but sometime you gotta wonder if this cocktail of chemicals is giving the illusion that we are cleaning our hair?
Why We Recommend?
Eco-Savy has put it’s stamp of approval on Alba shampoo mainly because it is “sodium laureth sulfate” free! This compound can be irritating to the eyes and skin, and may contain the carcinogen dioxane (produced during manufacturing).
All, sodium Lauryl Sulfate does is it acts as a cheap detergent to make those big bubbles form when you rub the shampoo into your hair. Instead, Alba shampoo has the bio-chemical Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate. I know it seems identical and really is two words deep. Have a closer look at the third word if you will! It does not say Sulfate, it says Sulfoacetate. Close enough you say?! Hardly close at all! These two ingredient couldn’t be any further apart from each other if they tried.
What ingredient does it have to replace the “sulfate”?
Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate is derived from coconut and palm oils and is completely 100% safe for our skin. This plant derived ingredient effectively helps to remove oil, dirt and bacteria, without drying or irritating even the most sensitive skin. Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate is also a hydrophilic, this means it is attracted to water which enables it to dissolve more readily in water, thus providing superior rinse ability!
Check out more Alba Products. Here are is one we recommend: